These are the 12 fruits and vegetables recommended to eat organic due to the number of pesticides on them.
1. Celery Celery has no protective skin, which makes it almost impossible to wash off the 64 chemicals that are used on crops. Buy organic celery, or choose alternatives like broccoli, radishes, and onions.
2. Peaches; Multiple pesticides (up to 62 different chemicals on peaches!) are regularly applied to these delicately skinned fruits in conventional orchards. Can’t find organic? Safer alternatives include watermelon, tangerines, oranges, and grapefruit.
3. Strawberries If you buy strawberries, especially out of season, they’re most likely imported from countries that have less-stringent regulations for pesticide use. As many as 59 chemicals have been detected in residue on strawberries. Can’t find organic? Safer alternatives include kiwi and pineapples.
4. Apples Like peaches, apples are typically grown with poisons to kill a variety of pests, from fungi to insects. Tests have found up to 42 different pesticides as residue on apples. Scrubbing and peeling doesn’t eliminate chemical residue completely, so it’s best to buy organic when it comes to apples. Peeling a fruit or vegetable also strips away many of their beneficial nutrients. Can’t find organic? Safer alternatives include watermelon, bananas, and tangerines.
5. Blueberries Blueberries are treated with as many as 52 different pesticides, making them one of the dirtiest berries on the market.
6. Nectarines have as many as 33 different pesticides
7. Capsicums Have thin skins that don’t offer much of a barrier to pesticides. They’re often heavily sprayed with insecticides. Tests have found 49 different pesticides.
8. Spinach Spinach can be laced with as many as 48 chemicals as pesticides, making it one of the most contaminated green leafy vegetable.
9. Cucumbers may contain possible carcinogenic pesticides, hormone disruptors and other toxins
10. Lettuce may also contain possible carcinogenic pesticides, hormone disruptors and other toxins
11. Potatoes A favourite vegetable can be laced with as many as 37 different pesticides
12. Grapes Vineyards can be sprayed with different pesticides during different growth periods of the grape, and no amount of washing or peeling will eliminate contamination because of the grape’s thin skin. Remember, wine is made from grapes, which testing shows can harbour as many as 34 different pesticides