If you’re trying to give up sugar and are tempted to try artificial sweeteners such as saccharin, aspartame and sucralose, please think twice.
There are so many health concerns associated with artificial sweeteners that they are really not a healthy alternative.
Listed as the numbers 950, 951, 952, 954 and 955. These are some of the safety concerns associated with these, according to www.AdditiveAlert.com.au;
- 950 Acesulphame-K: caused cancer and tumours in animal tests
- 951 Aspartame (Nutrasweet, Equal): linked to many health problems including headaches, seizures and brain tumours. The FDA has received more complaints about aspartame than any other food additive
- 952 Cyclamates: suspected carcinogen banned in the UK and USA in 1970 but still permitted in Australia
- 954 Saccharin: linked to bladder and reproductive cancers banned in the USA in 1977 but reinstated with strict labelling provisions
- 955 Sucralose: caused kidney and liver damage in tests, more research needed
It’s hard to give up sugar, it’s highly addictive, but swapping sugar for the toxic elements in artificial sweeteners is doing the opposite of a healthy diet. The best way to give up sugar is to gradually cut down until your taste buds have adapted and your brain has been re-trained. It’s slow, but it’s the only way.
There are also some wonderful herbs and supplements that help to curb the cravings and reset the pathways that encourage you to over indulge. Call me for help.