Diet can be very influential on systemic inflammation. Inflammation can have an affect on just about every part of the body and every disease process, from auto immunity to depression. And it always starts in the gut.
There are plenty of foods that help reduce inflammation and plenty of foods and beverages that exacerbate inflammation.
Use plenty of;
- apple cider vinegar,
- chilli (if not sensitive),
- basil and other herbs,
- fresh vegetables such as; mixed leafy greens, alfalfa, sprouts, cabbage, celery, broccoli, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, snow peas, beetroot, carrots, capsicums, tomatoes, avocadoes,
- low fructose fruits such as; pawpaw, pineapple, apples, berries and sour cherries,
- omega 3 in fatty fish such as; Salmon (eating at least 3-5 serves of fish a week)
- nuts & seeds
- herbs such as boswellia, liquorice (avoid with high blood pressure), ashwaganda, slippery elm, rosemary and cayenne
All these foods may help reduce systemic inflammation throughout the body.
- refined carbohydrates such as bread and pasta,
- excess omega 6 fatty acids (found in vegetable oils),
- artificial sweeteners especially aspartame,
- trans fats (found in margarine and pastries)
- excessive saturated fats,
- flavourings such as MSG
- chemicals such as pesticides, herbicides, antibiotics and pollution in the environment and in food