- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (from 1/2 a lemon) or apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- Fresh dill (omit for regular mayo)
- 1 cup olive oil or for those with sensitivities use rice-bran oil
- Salt to taste
- Place egg yolk, lemon juice, and mustard in the bottom of container or jar that just fits the head of your stick blender. It is important that the egg/lemon juice mixture reaches the blades for this to work. If the mixture does not reach the blades, double the recipe before attempting.
- Add garlic and dill if using. Pour oil on top and allow to settle for 15 seconds. Place head of stick blender at the bottom of the container or jar and turn it on high speed. Do not pulse or move the head. As mayonnaise forms, slowly lift the head of the stick blender until all the oil has emulsified. Season mayonnaise to taste with salt. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Image courtesy of Apolonia at FreeDigitalPhotos.net