- 6 litres of cold, filtered water or enough to cover the chicken (I recommend using a very large pot so you get lots of broth).
- 2- 3 FRESH organic chicken carcasses and skin-less chicken meat (1kg of chicken in total). (skinless chicken is necessary to reduce histamines)
- 2 onions, quartered (if salicylate intolerant, use leeks and spring onions)
- 1-2 carrot, quartered (if salicylate intolerant, use swede)
- 3 sticks of celery
- Several sprigs of fresh thyme (omit if salicylate intolerant)
- A bunch of parsley
- A generous pinch of celtic, rock, Himalayan or sea salt
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar (omit if salicylate intolerant)
- Place the meat, water and vinegar in a large saucepan, cover with a lid and let stand for 30 minutes. This will give time to the vinegar to start drawing minerals from the bones into the water.
- Bring to the boil.
- Over the next half hour, a foam-like scum will rise to the surface. Skim it several times.
- When no more foam is surfacing, add the vegetables, thyme and and salt and reduce heat to simmer.
- Cook for 2-4 hours.
- Ten minutes before the end add the parsley. This will increase the mineral content of the broth.
- After cooking, remove carcasses and veggies with slotted spoon and strain into a container.
- The broth can then be stored in pint-sized glass containers in the fridge. Chill well before freezing.