Prep time: 40 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
- Ricebran oil, for greasing
- 100 g (½ cup) brown or Basmati long-grain rice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 30 g (1 oz) butter, melted
- 90 g (⅓ cup) cottage cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 60 g (2¼ oz) butter
- 5 spring onions (scallions) chopped
- 4 eggs
- 250 g (1 cup) cottage cheese
- 1 x cup of spinach (omit for salicylate sensitivity)
- Ground sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 170°C
- Lightly grease a 23 cm (9 in) flan tin or pie plate with ricebran oil.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil.
- Add the rice and cook for 12 minutes, or until very tender, stirring occasionally.
- Drain and cool. You will need 1½ cups of cold cooked rice for this recipe.
- Combine the cooled rice with the chives, butter, cottage cheese and eggs and press into the base and sides of prepared pan.
- Chill for 30 minutes.
For the filling;
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Add the spring onions and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until soft, but not brown.
- Remove from the heat.
- Combine the eggs, cottage cheese and a pinch of salt in a bowl.
- Add the spring onion mixture and mix well.
- Pour the filling into the prepared crust.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until firm and golden brown.
- Serve the pie hot or cold.
HINT: The rice should be very well cooked and slightly mushy. This can be achieved by stirring it once or twice during cooking.