- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot or tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 & 1/2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 tbsp ghee, melted
- 1/2 tbsp parsley and crushed garlic (optional)
- Place the almond flour, arrowroot or tapioca flour, baking soda and pinch of salt in a bowl.
- Add the coconut milk, water and apple cider vinegar.
- Mix to combine.
- Heat a small frying pan over medium heat.
- Brush with 1/4 of the melted ghee.
- Pour in 1/4 cup of batter and swirl around slightly.
- Cook for 3 minutes per side or until golden and crisp.
- Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Brush with remaining melted ghee, sprinkle with chopped parsley and garlic and serve.
Healthy Pizza with a Cauliflower Base
makes 1 pizza
I was having a few friends over a few weeks ago and decided to make pizza for dinner. I’ve made cauliflower pizza before, but tried a new recipe with almond meal, and it was absolutely delicious (even if I say so myself!).
I had a spelt base pizza as well, and we all agreed the cauliflower base won hands down, even the kids agreed!!
florets from 1 good sized cauliflower (about 750gms or so)
100gms (about 1 x cup) of ground almonds (almond meal or flour)
1 tbsp dried oregano
75gms of cheese; I used a combination of tasty and parmesan
3 organic eggs, beaten (for a vegan option see tip at the end) Salt and pepper to taste
Anything you like to put on your pizza!!
I did pizza supreme for the kids. roasted pumpkin and fetta for the vego’s and left over roast lamb with roasted beetroot, spinach and mint leaves for the carnivores!
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and line a baking tray (or pizza stone) with baking paper.
- Coarsely chop the cauliflower, place in food processor and blend until it is a fine rice-like texture.
- Place this in a mixing bowl. Add the ground almonds, oregano and seasoning and mix with your hands.
- Make a well in the centre and add the eggs. Use your hands to pull the dry ingredients towards the middle until everything is combined and you can shape it into a ball. It should be more loose and sticky than a traditional pizza dough.(this can be done in a processor or thermomix)
- Transfer to the baking paper and form into a pizza base by flattening the dough with your hands. Make the edges slightly higher.
- Pre-bake for 25 minutes or until golden. Meanwhile, prepare the pizza topping.
- Remove the crust from the oven. Cover it with the topping of your choice and put it back in the oven for 5-10 more minutes.
Tip: For a vegan alternative, replace the eggs with this chia mixture: Measure 30 g or 1/4 cup of chia seeds into a bowl and add 175 ml or 3/4 cup of water. Stir well and place in the fridge for 15 minutes before use.