Arsenic in Rice;
Unfortunately all rice contains arsenic, even if it’s been organically grown. Arsenic is a natural occurring element in our environment, but as our waterways are becoming more polluted, this level is rising.
Rice naturally absorbs more arsenic than other foods.
We can’t totally remove arsenic, but if you follow this cooking method, you will greatly reduce the amount by up to 80%.
Some rice varieties are naturally higher in arsenic than others;
- Basmati rice is naturally lower in arsenic than other rice
- Unfortunately brown rice contains up to 80 times more arsenic than white rice due to the husk
- Rice cakes and crackers contain more arsenic than the rice grain
- Rice milk may contain more arsenic than is permissable in drinking water!
- Organically grown rice still contains arsenic
Cooking rice with lower GI
When rice is cooked with oil, then left to cool and then re-heated (think stir fried rice) it alters the structure of the rice converting it from a simple starch (which is converted to blood sugar immediately) to a resistant starch. Resistant starch isn’t absorbed as readily as a simple starch, therefore it doesn’t spike blood sugar levels therefore improving insulin sensitivity, in fact, for some people, it can even lower glucose and insulin after meals. Resistant starch may even enhance sleep quality, increase energy levels, and promote mental clarity.
It’s thought that cooking rice this way may reduce calories by 50 – 60 %!!
- 1 cup organic white, Basmati or brown rice
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1-3 tbsp. coconut oil, butter or ghee
- Pinch of Himalayan pink salt (optional)
- Rinse rice under running water, this removes any talc…yes talc, which is sometimes used in milling rice.
- Place rice in a saucepan and soak overnight in plenty of water (opens rice grain up and allows the arsenic to leach out into the soaking water)
- Drain the rice and rinse thoroughly.
- Add 5 parts water to 1 part rice. Add the oil or butter to the water
- Bring to the boil, cook until tender (about 15 minutes or so)
- Pour off the excess water (and the arsenic with it!!)
- For added benefit, cool the rice and then re-heat it rather than having it straight from the pot.
See my other post for lower GI potatoes; https://equilibriumnaturalhealth.com/2016/08/30/healthier-potatoes-with-a-lower-gi/
Image courtesy of Keerati at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Are you always feeling tired, not sleeping or struggling to get up each day?
Does your body ache and are your joints are stiff?
Do you often get headaches, suffer from allergies or skin conditions?
Does your hair or skin lack lustre and vibrancy?
Is your immune system letting you down?
Struggling to give up sugar or other addictions?
Finding it harder to lose those extra kg’s?
Sounds like it’s time to DETOX!
Why not join a 4 Week Individualised Group Detox starting on October 8th at Morpeth?
Spring usually brings with it a sense of waking up from hibernation over winter and with that in mind I’m running an individualised, group detox in October. This is a great way to wake up your body, refresh and revitalise it with a “Spring clean”.
The 4 week detox includes an individualised program specifically designed to accommodate your needs, whether it be; detoxifying the system from toxins, weight loss, removing sugar from your diet, disease prevention, reduce premature ageing, or enhancing immune function, or a combination of some or all of the above.
This is an individualised detox programme in a group setting. I will design an individual detox program to suit your specific needs. Being in a group environment provides support, encouragement and accountability.
By gently and effectively removing exposure to toxins from your diet and lifestyle, clearing your digestive tract and improving your gut and liver function you’re giving your body the best chance to digest foods more effectively, produce more energy, break the addiction pattern, remove excess weight and regain overall health. Did you know that it’s virtually impossible to lose weight if your liver function is compromised?
- Individualised 4 week Detox in a group setting with lots of recipe ideas and comprehensive notes
- 3 x group consultations held over the 4 weeks
- Individualised herbal mixes and supplements to assist the body to detox more efficiently and help repair any existing damage to the liver and GI tract.
- Phone and email support throughout the 4 weeks.
Places are limited so phone Sophie on; 0409 506 477 to book your place!
Early Bird Special;
Book and pay your deposit before the 28th of September and save $15!